From meagre beginnings to a two-star rating in 1989, the continual upgrades and improvements being made to Newcastle’s Stockton Beach Tourist Park have resulted in the 3.5-star facility on offer to tourists today.
The Tourist Park is located within a Crown Reserve and Newcastle City Council appointed as Trustees.
Newcastle City Council aims to provide a tourist accommodation venue which is accessible to a wide range of people looking for affordable and high quality holiday experiences.
On the 26th January 1949 Mr. Meddows (Chief Health Inspector) recommended that Stockton Beach camping areas be cleared of permanent campers, making way for the development of a modern camping and caravan tourist park.
Park Managers were appointed in 1988 and a committee formed to initiate the upgrade of the Tourist Park using only its own generated income.
Other significant dates include:
- 1988 – 1992 – Park Managers residences constructed, new entrance and Camp kitchen constructed
- 1994 – New Northern end Amenities building constructed
- 2001 – Bunk Cabins installed and officially opened by Lord Mayor John S Tate
- 2003 – Ensuite cabins installed
- 2006 – use of the Swimming Centre by patrons is included in Accommodation costs
- 2009 – dump point installed
Did you knows …
The origin of the name Stockton is itself unclear. One argument has it that the area was known as Scott’s Town after A.W. Scott an early land owner, and that this name was eventually mangled through “Scotton” to finally Stockton. The more pragmatic explanation is that it is named after Stockton in the north of England.
Stockton was known to the local Worimi Aboriginals as “Burrinbingon” which meant ‘ the land of plenty’, with Oysters, pipies, myriads of fish species in the surrounding water and abundant wildlife in the forested areas.
Stockton was originally known as Pirates Point after a gang of escaped convicts who had seized the boat Norfolk were wrecked there in 1800.
Stockton Borough Council began in 1889 and its imposing Council chambers stood where the RSL Club is now.